when you're a star, they let you do it. — d.j. trump



— revelation —

15:7 and one of the four beasts gave unto the seven angels seven golden vials, full of the wrath of god: 16:17 and the seventh angel poured out his vial, 18 and there was a great earthquake, such as was not since men were upon the earth: so mighty an earthquake, and so great. 5 and i heard the angel say: thou art righteous, o lord, 6 for they have shed the blood of saints and prophets, and thou hast given them blood to drink, for they are worthy.

Wednesday, July 22, 2020

The Tolerant Twenties


 It was only in my fourteenth to fifteenth year of life that I first began to stumble more often upon the word Jew, partly in the context of political discourse. I felt towards it [anti-Jewish polemic] a mild distaste, being unable to forefend myself from sensing an unpleasant feeling, which always crept up on me, whenever denominational unpleasantries were carried out in my presence.

 I perceived the only noteworthy difference to lie in their strange confession of faith. For them to have been persecuted solely on account of this, as I then believed, sometimes made my [abovementioned] distaste of [witnessing] unkind remarks directed at them turn into outright repulsion.

 I do not wish to suggest that the way and manner in which I would [eventually] become acquainted with it [the Jewish question] felt particularly pleasant to me [at the time]. In Jews I still saw only the confession, and, therefore, in the name of humanitarian tolerance, I considered the cessation of religious infighting to justly apply in this case as well. So I deemed the tone, especially the one displayed by the anti-Semitic Vienna press, as unworthy of the [rich] cultural tradition of a great nation. I felt oppressed by the remembrance of certain medieval events, which I did not gladly wish to see repeated. As the aforementioned newspapers were not generally well-regarded (whence this [impression] came from, I myself was not exactly aware of at the time), I viewed them more as (by)products of livid envy, rather than results of a systematic, though misguided, perspective.

 The infinitely more noble form (as I saw it), in which the truly great press addressed all these attacks, or, what to me seemed even more graceful, not even mentioned them, but was simply dead-silent about, only served to strengthen my opinion.

 I eagerly devoured the so-called world press (New Free Press, Vienna Daily Paper, and so on), and was stunned both by the [wide] range [of subjects] it provided its readers with, as well as by the objectivity of its detailed presentation. I appreciated its appropriate tone.

Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf

0 comments :